The ISO 20121 Team welcomes you to our website devoted to ISO 20121 certification. The international standard ISO 20121 specifies the requirements for an Event Sustainability Management System to improve the sustainability of events.
This site provides information and other resources that will help you on your journey to achieving ISO 20121 certification (often mistakenly called 'accreditation' ).
So what is ISO 20121?
ISO 20121 is a management system standard that has been designed to help organisations in the events industry improve the sustainability of their event-related activities, products and services.
ISO 20121 is based on the earlier British Standard called ‘BS 8901 Specification for a Sustainability Management System for Events’ which was first developed in 2007.
In simple terms, ISO 20121 describes the building blocks of a management system that will help any event-related organisation to:
- Continue to be financially successful
- Become more socially responsible
- Reduce its environmental footprint
ISO 20121 applies to all types and sizes of organisation involved in the events industry – from caterers, lighting and sound engineers, security companies, stage builders and venues to independent event organisers and corporate and public sector event teams.
Organisations that successfully implement the standard will be able to seek independent recognition of their achievement through a process called ‘Certification’.
For more information about ISO20121 and the concept of sustainability, please visit our sister website www.iso20121.org
Certification to ISO 20121
Organisations can seek independent certification to ISO 20121 in order to demonstrate that they meet the requirements of the standard. The ISO 20121 Team undertakes this certification on your behalf.
During the certification process, the ISO 20121 Team inspects your management system and interviews key personnel in order to verify that your management system:
- Is designed in accordance with ISO 20121
- Is operating effectively
Evidence needs to be sufficient to demonstrate that the event sustainability management system is an integral part of the event management process and not an additional “add-on” component. As long as there are no major problems (or non-conformities) then the ISO 20121 Team will issue you with a Certificate of Conformance to ISO 20121.
What are the benefits of ISO 20121?
As ISO 20121 is simply a business management framework, adopting it can bring a number of internal benefits to an organisation including:
- Clarity of purpose and strategy resulting in a more energised and aligned workforce
- More integrated management and joined up thinking resulting in improved efficiencies and stronger teamwork
- Simpler, clearer and more effective systems and processes
Our experience has shown that the standard is particularly useful for smaller organisations as it provides a robust framework for running a business as well as standardised procedures and processes which enable the rapid integration of new staff.
What are the benefits of ISO 20121 Certification?
One of the key benefits of ISO 20121 certification is that it will enable an organisation to differentiate itself in the marketplace and hence improve their chance of winning new business. Major public sector and private sector clients are referencing ISO 20121 in their tender documents as they work to ensure that their own sustainability policies are being implemented.
In time, demonstrating compliance to ISO 20121 is likely to become a minimum requirement for anyone wishing to operate in the events industry as event clients, sponsors, local authorities and other key stakeholders choose to work with organisations that have implemented the standard.
What help is available to you?
The ISO 20121 Team has developed a range of services to assist you on your way to ISO 20121:
- ISO 20121 Checklist – a simple checklist that will help you understand how you are positioned with respect to ISO 20121 and where the main gaps are in your management system
- ISO 20121 Briefing – a 1 to 2 hour briefing presentation to help you understand ISO 20121 and to get you going. This can be delivered in-person or on-line (Skype)
- ISO 20121 Training – an in-house half or 1 day intense training course on ISO 20121
- ISO 20121 Guide – an easy to understand Guide to ISO 20121 that provides a step-by-step roadmap to help you on your way to ISO 20121
- ISO 20121 Toolkit – a toolkit of example documents and templates that will help you create the necessary elements of the management system that are needed
- ISO 20121 Certification – when you are ready, the Team are able to undertake a certification assessment of your organisation to provide you with a formal Certificate of Conformance to ISO 20121
If you want to take a quick test to see how well your management system currently compares to the requirements of ISO 20121 then drop us an email at info@ISO20121.org and we will send you our checklist.
If you have any other questions about ISO 20121 or our services then please do not hesitate to contact us at info@ISO20121.org.
If you are looking for ISO 20121certification then please email us at info@ISO20121.org for a quote.
About the ISO 20121 Team
We are a small team of experienced individuals dedicated to helping improve the sustainability of the events industry. We were involved in creating the initial British Standard BS 8901 and also in developing ISO 20121. We have helped over 50 organisations develop and implement event sustainability management systems, many of which are now certified.
Our goal is to help you understand ISO 20121 by taking the jargon out of the standard and to build your capability and knowledge to enable you to make the changes needed to your management system to achieve ISO 20121. We pride ourselves in being able to provide a simple and low cost route to achieve ISO 20121 without the need for consultants or expensive training courses.
We wish you all the best on your journey to ISO 20121
The ISO 20121 Team